Mascara and Falsies have Met Their Match
Nobody ever misses putting mascara on. Messing with the tube, combing out clumps, cleaning up smears and then at the end of the day scrubbing off the makeup left behind in an attempt to not look like a panda bear when you wake up in the morning.
And let’s not even talk about what you go through to apply and then wear terrible false lash pieces on your eyelids for special occasions. It’s a gluey, uncomfortable mess.
What if you could get the mascara look without the mascara—the false lash look without the glue strip—by taking a nap for an hour or 2?
With lash extensions, you can.
Eyelash extensions are individual strands of hair expertly attached to each individual eyelash with a special medical-grade adhesive. They are applied to the eyelash itself, and are never in direct contact with your skin, so they’re not irritating.
At Lustlash, we use faux mink lashes in a range of thicknesses and curl shapes to achieve different looks.
Here are some lash extension FAQs:
Can I use my normal products?
Somewhat. If you use an oil-based cleanser, you may want to switch it up to an oil-free one, so you don’t erode the bonds.
You can use mascara, but make sure to ask your esthetician if it’s one that works with your extensions. i.e., the tube-style mascaras are out.
But with extensions, you don’t need mascara; that’s kind of the point.
How long does it take?
The application process lasts between 60 and 120 minutes, depending on how lush an application you’re going for. It’s 60 minutes for a Classic Set, which is 55-65 lashes per eye, and is a more natural everyday look.
The Divine Set takes about 90 minutes, includes about 70-80 lashes per eye, and is kind of like taking your daytime look to go out for drinks after work. It’s more than the classic look, but not full-on diva.
The Glamour Set, however, is for when you are going for the lavish Kardashian kind of look. This includes 85-95 lashes per eye, with 2-3 ultra-fine eyelashes applied to each single natural lash. The process takes about 120 minutes, and when you’re done you almost feel the rush of wind when you blink.
Does it hurt?
Not at all. Sometimes you feel a little tug, but a lot of ladies take this time to get a bit of literal shut-eye. Yes, I just said that you can take a 60, 90 or 120-minute nap in the salon and wake up with glamour lashes. Win-Win, anyone?
How long do they last?
This depends on how well you treat them, but in general faux-mink lashes like the ones we use at Lustlash last two weeks or more before needing a fill.
Some Tips to Prolong Wear:
- Only ever go to a legitimate licensed esthetician. Never cut corners and never, ever DIY with lash extensions. These are your eyes, people.
- Try to hold off on getting them wet for the first 24-48 hours while the bond is still setting.
- After the first day or two, wash them once a day with diluted baby shampoo to make sure they’re clean and comb through them with a clean spoolie brush to make sure they’re standing straight.
- Stay away from oil-based products near your eyes that can affect the adhesive.
- Try not to rub your eyes with utter abandon. You could be twisting off some lashes.
- Think about getting a silk pillowcase that allows your face to glide across it rather than rubbing on it. (It’s great for your skin and hair, too.)
- Talk to your esthetician about the best way to care for those specific lashes and when to come back for a fill. She may have some extra tips up her sleeve.
- Follow us @Lustlash on Instagram to see the crazy cool lashes that we do and to choose which look you think would work best for you.
For other questions or to book an appointment, give us a call at Lustlash today!